Prepare and pack smart and you can keep your storage possessions in good shape while they are in storage.
- Out-of-season clothing should be clean and left on hangers. Put blankets and drapes in a wardrobe box.
- Always start with good quality storage boxes. At Volunteer Movers, you will find a large selection of cardboard boxes and other packing materials such as bubble wrap.
- Look for special boxes to protect fragile contents such as dishes and glasses and clearly mark them fragile.
- Bubble wrap can be used for fragile items and to:
- wrap table legs
- protect dishes and glasses before boxing them
- safeguard pictures and mirrors from breakage
- Pack books flat, not standing. Do not pack too many books in a box since they can be very heavy.
- Do not overfill or over pack boxes, especially if you plan to stack boxes. Over packing and stacking boxes could crush contents and rupture boxes over time.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers, motorcycles or other small engine vehicles.
- Store photographs flat and between pieces of cardboard to keep them in good shape and to prevent curling.
- If you have sensitive items (photos, wood furniture, leather) consider storing those items in a climate-controlled storage room.
- Clean appliances you plan to store. Leave refrigerator doors open and use the space inside for storage.
Use the storage space effectively
- To conserve space disassemble furniture, remove legs from tables and chairs.
- If you store book shelves or other shelving, use the shelves to full advantage.
- Stand couches on their end.
- Leave an aisle so you have access to all of your items.
- If you expect to use items soon, store them up front and store items you do not expect to use in the back.
For all your moving and storage needs, contact Volunteer Moving and Storage.