If you have opted for self-storage service, you need to need to make sure that you know how to pack and load it properly in order for your belongings to stay safe and also to have easy access to the things you need the most.
How can you make the most of your self-storage space? Here are some tips to consider as you pack and prepare to store your belongings:
- Always start with good quality storage boxes. At Volunteer Movers, you will find a large selection of cardboard boxes and other packing materials such as bubble wrap.
- Look for special boxes to protect fragile contents such as dishes and glasses and clearly mark them as fragile
- Use bubble wrap for fragile items. Bubble wrap can be used to:
o wrap table legs
o protect dishes and glasses before boxing them
o protect pictures and mirrors from breakage
- Do not overfill boxes. Doing so may cause boxes to tip over or collapse.
- Use small boxes to pack heavy items so they are not too heavy to lift
- Label all your boxes so you know the contents
- Create an inventory of what you are storing and keep the list at home
- Clean garden equipment before it is stored
- Use wardrobe boxes and leave clothes on hangers to help them keep shape
- Be sure you place items closer to the door that you expect to need soon / often
- Protect your furniture with soft covers such as blankets or sheets to keep dust out
- Clean refrigerators and leave the door open
Tips on Downsizing and Moving
Do you need to downsize your parent’s living space? Are they moving to an assisted living community? Maybe you have decided to move from a family home to a condo. Here are some tips to make downsizing and the transition to a new place a little easier:
- First, check out the new space. It is important to find out the size and layout of the new space so you know how much downsizing you will need to do.
- Second, it is important to keep your parent(s) and family involved as you make decisions. Pack what is most important to them but also have the conversation about what cannot go.
- Know where important papers are. Decide if the documents go with your parents or stay with a trusted family member. If a parent is suffering from dementia or has health problems it may be best to hang on to important papers for them.
- Inventory the home and make sure you check everywhere, including closets. Decide what is moving with your parents and what you needs to be disposed of.
- For furniture and items of value (real value or sentimental value), check with family to see if there is something in particular they would like to have that cannot go into the new space.
- Storage: If undecided about belongings, consider putting items into short-term storage.
- Have a yard sale. Use the money to help with moving expenses.
- Donate items you do not give away or sell. Goodwill and others will pick up large items and donations are much appreciated.
- Decorate the new space with their belongings. Make the place feel like home. Having familiar items around the new space helps adjust quicker.
For help with packing, moving and storage, contact your local professionals at Volunteer Moving and Storage in Knoxville, TN.